Location: Hybrid (Union Square office in San Francisco and remote)
Type: Full time, Exempt. Includes being present at weekend and evening events.
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Marketing Manager, Director of Operations and Patron Services
This role presents an opportunity to work within the collaborative team at Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra & Chorale (PBOC) to take some of the highest quality performances of Baroque and Classical music to the widest possible audience. PBOC musicians use instruments and techniques from the period the music was composed to bring it alive for today’s audiences – like taking the dirt off an Old Master painting to reveal its color and energy as new.
PBOC delivers our music with an outstretched hand that opens musical doors, showcasing a range of repertoire and concert formats. While rooted in tradition, we also illuminate brand new musical innovation, featuring vanguard artists and composers. We invite audiences to experience classical music in an encouraging and explorative environment with affordable tickets and more relaxed off-season events.
Philharmonia Baroque seeks an experienced leader to support PBOC in aligning messaging with strategy and in growing audiences. The Director of Marketing and Communications will work closely with other staff including artistic, development, and executive leaders to elevate institutional visibility and increase attendance at concerts, and support efforts to reach new audiences.
- Work with organizational leaders to develop and implement a refreshed, cohesive branding marketing and communications strategy to advance the mission of PBOC that includes:
- Cohesive messaging and branding
- Digital marketing and social media
- Print and digital advertising
- Website upgrades and updates
- Marketing assets such as concert programs, brochures, and PBOC merchandise
- Press outreach, contact list development, and relationship-building
- Publicity for fundraising events and communications
- Work with the Marketing Manager to develop and implement marketing strategies to grow audiences reflective of the diversity of the Bay Area.
- Work with the Director of Operations and Patron Services to develop and implement a strategy for data collection and analysis; oversee review/improvement of our CRM systems
- Work with Development staff to publicize fundraising efforts and events.
- Lead development and management of annual marketing and communications budget including setting earned income targets in collaboration with artistic staff.
- Work with organizational leaders to create and nurture new partnerships for PBOC
- 3 or more years’ leadership experience (including supervision and support of staff and consultants) in developing and implementing a cohesive marketing and communications strategy in a nonprofit performing arts organization
- Track record of successful audience development
- Experience managing a marketing budget and work toward ambitious earned income targets
- Experience overseeing the development of digital campaigns and tracking their success
- A flair for writing distinctive engaging copy; ability to tailor written communications for a variety of audiences
- Experience with PatronManager or other CRM, Meta Business Suite and WordPress
- Experience utilizing data to inform marketing and communications strategy
- Interest in Classical music
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience
- Collaborative, results-driven approach
Note: This is a list of ideal skills and qualifications, and we are aware that candidates may gain their experience in a variety of different ways and that candidates may not possess all of these skills. If you feel your experience is a good fit for PBO, we encourage you to apply.
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra & Chorale is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages candidates from historically underrepresented communities to apply. We are committed to a collaborative work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and provides employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected class.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify Director of Marketing and Communications in the subject line of your response. No phone calls please.