[posted October 27, 2021]
Location: Union Square, San Francisco
Type: Part-time/seasonal, non-exempt
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: General Manager
Works closely with: Production Coordinator, House Manager, Videographer, Audio Engineer, Equipment Coordinator
Working with the Music Director and musicians, and reporting to the General Manager, the Stage Manager oversees the movement of all stage- and backstage-related equipment for all rehearsals and performances of Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra & Chorale, including chairs, music stands, water, risers, stand lights, keyboards, and any sets, scenery, and/or props that might be needed; ensures timely and efficient entrances and exits of musicians to and from stage; and provides assistance to the Music Director such as music placement, retrieval, and storage between concerts. The Stage Manager works to create a safe and productive environment for PBO to rehearse and perform music at the highest possible artistic standard.
In all interactions with internal and external constituents, act with a high degree of professionalism to promote Philharmonia’s image and to ensure confidence in the staff and organization. Communications should be patient and polite to be seen as a “team player.” A cheerful and calm demeanor is critical when communicating with presenters, concert venue staff, musicians, and the Music Director and/or being confronted with opposing ideas or stressful situations. A high degree of diplomacy and tact are required for interactions with all constituencies: musicians, soloists, Music Director, Board Members, donors, staff, patrons, presenters, vendors and consultants.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that musicians, soloists, and the Music Director have a safe and productive environment in which to rehearse and perform
- Sets up the rehearsal or performance area according to the stage plot provided and verbal notes given by the Production Coordinator or Music Director, and is on hand in case any changes are required
- Monitors break times, ensuring that musicians are notified about when to resume the rehearsal and that Musicians’ Union work rules are followed
- Records the stage plot and changes made between pieces, and determines if there are any additional elements that will be needed for performances
- Provides security for musicians’ instruments and valuables during breaks
- “Calls” each of the performances, and works alongside venue support staff when applicable
- Liases and coordinates with the House Manager during performances with regard to start time, late seating, etc.
- Stays calm and collected with a positive attitude at all times
- At least two (2) years of relevant job experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to remain calm and cheerful under pressure
- Willingness to be a team player
- Comfort with current technology (email, Google Docs, etc
- Ability to work long days, evenings and weekends
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- A knowledge and love of classical music a bonus
SALARY: Hourly rate of $36.
Email your resume and cover letter to General Manager Myles K. Glancy at email@example.com with subject line “Stage Manager.” No phone calls please.
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra & Chorale is an equal opportunity employer.